this blog is a visual notebook of inspirations for a group of bandit bloggers. we post things we see and like. our lives don’t revolve around singular topics and neither does our blog. sorry! nothing is in-or-out of context here. enjoy xx
once zhuang zhou dreamt he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. he didn’t know he was zhuang zhou. suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable zhuang zhou. but he didn’t know if he was zhuang zhou who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was zhuang zhou. Between zhuang zhou and a butterfly there must be some distinction! this is called the transformation of things.
a new gorgeous film by jason kibbler (of cadence nyc), styled by tony irvine, hair by rolando beauchamp, makeup by frankie boyd, creative direction by kimberley norcott, music by tristan bechet.
the evolution of sensual sensitivity in smashion films — check it! by kl
olympia scarry sounds like a good title for this one but it’s actually the name of the swiss artist behind this classic bust. reminds me of the mad busts done by this 18th century artist, but just not as good. i can’t remember his name for the life of me, some german/spanish mix of a name. he did a series of classic busts with everyone making insane faces. a good twist on your boring everyday alabaster. by dd
bertrand russell, a paragon of many genres, discusses his ideas on the vindications of education, the undenying value of uncertainty, the quintessence of critical thinking and intelligent criticism. these are, if nothing else, words to live by for any pseudo-quasi-hip-atheist-agnostic-self-but-not-really-loathing human being:
“perhaps the essence of the liberal outlook could be summed up in a new decalogue, not intended to replace the old one but only to supplement it. the ten commandments that, as a teacher, i should wish to promulgate, might be set forth as follows:
1. do not feel absolutely certain of anything.
2. do not think it worth while to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light.
3. never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.
4.when you meet with opposition, even if it should be from your husband or your children, endeavor to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.
5. have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.
6. do not use power to suppress opinions you think pernicious, for if you do the opinions will suppress you.
7. do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
8. find more pleasure in intelligent dissent than in passive agreement, for, if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.
9. be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.
10. do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool’s paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.” by sv
another mind blow by swiss artist urs fischer. this time in LA at MOCA, this satelite show to his main retrospective involved 1500 volunteers in a spectrum of ages and specialties. an experience of the raw, the forces of nature and time, and above all, freedom of mind. not for everyone, but i hope you got your chance to experience as i was so dazed by the experience it is not long gone. by kl